ARTISTOur artists are hand-picked and come from all over the world.
Focussed on emerging and mid-career artists, we value quality, potential, and originality of their work.
Style: Abstract Expressionist
Magdalena Morey is a disciplined and very productive painter. But first of all, so she tells us, she is a woman. "I am a woman, and I express myself through my art. Art is my nutrition. Art is also my livelihood and I am proud to be able to support my family."
Magdalena uses mixed media and adores experimenting. Acrylics, watercolour, pastels, and gold leaf, which she started using to represent the warmth of the Spanish sun. Her style is abstract, and her main subjects are figuratives, land- and seascapes; which she all enjoys.
You can read more about our meeting with Magdalena in Aranjuez, Spain here.
Magdalena is always open for commission pieces. Please contact us for more information.
Abstract artist, Magdalena Morey
With a strong affinity to nature and ecology, Magdalena Morey loves to explore new ideas and places. This influence can be clearly seen in her abstract land and waterscapes. Often these are bold, vibrant and direct but many are more complex with a sense of wistfulness woven into the intricate reflections and clouds.
Her interest in the inner workings of the mind is reflected in her love of abstraction and painting the feminine form; her figurative pieces are not direct self-portraits but as with her landscapes, there is always some aspect of her own internal state of being that is represented.
Close to 20 galleries currently represent this talented artist; from Spain and the UK to Canada, Russia, and Hong Kong. She has a MA degree (with distinction) in painting, has been featured in publications like Artist Network and received a variety of prizes, amongst which “Best Contemporary Abstract Artist” (2018) by Build Magazine in Spain.
Exhibitions (a selection of past and present)
- 2nd Annual "Taste of the World" Exhibition, Try it ART Gallery and Back to the Picture, San Francisco, CA (G)
- "Spring Exhibition", Try it ART Gallery in Bragg Creek, AB (Canada) (G)
- Affordable Art Fair, New York (USA), represented by Signet Contemporary Art (G)
- First Annual "Taste of the World" Exhibition, Try it ART Gallery and Back to the Picture, San Francisco, CA (G)
- Affordable Art Fair New York, represented by Signet Contemporary Art (G)
- Affordable Art Fair Hong Kong, represented by Signet Contemporary Art (G)
- World Art Dubai, Dubai (UAE), represented by Signet Contemporary Art (G)
- LA Art Show, Los Angeles (USA), represented by Signet Contemporary Art (G)
- Singapore Art Fair, Singapore, represented by Signet Contemporary Art (G)
- Malaga International Art Fair (Spain) (S)
The development of each piece is somewhat akin to participating in a film where I am both the subject and the director; the figures grow, move and develop continually until I reach a point where I feel the composition has captured something fundamental about my perceived reality.
Sometimes the end results may be highly dynamic and playful, concentrating more on the representation of motion. Sometimes they are far more static and thoughtful with a focus on the use of colour and texture. I tend to stick to the abstract form for the majority of each painting but include one or two areas, such as a breast or the navel, that become more life-like.
All of my paintings are built up from multiple layers of acrylics, watercolours and pastels. In many of my landscapes, I also include gold leaf as a way to express the heat and luminous intensity of the sun. I adore the potential interplays of texture, reflectivity, and colour that this mixed media approach allows me. I often use watercolours to tint the metallic reflections, which leads to the colours changing continually with the viewer's perspective and the lighting conditions.
Follow Magdalena Morey
Showing 10–12 of 12 results